Mel joined the firm’s leading Injury section in 2020, advising on compensation claims arising out of motor vehicle accidents, work accidents, income protection and TPD claims, product use and public liability.
Prior to joining Wallmans, Mel worked as a senior claims officer in the Queensland Insurance Commission as part of the Department of Treasury, specialising in injury claims. This included managing claims arising from motor vehicle accidents, catastrophic claims, medical litigation, public liability, discrimination and defamation complaints. She worked closely with clients in all aspects of their claims, including assessing appropriate rehabilitation programs and consulting with health providers. As a result, she has solid experience in claim progression, analysing relevant medical records, expert reports and case law to determine the best course of action for injured clients.
With a key passion for this area of law, Mel has completed a Masters of Health and Medical Law from the University of Melbourne, in addition to her Bachelor of Law and Business Degree (James Cook University) and Certificate of Legal Practice (College of Law).
Mel represents clients in the Magistrates and District Courts as well as the South Australian Employment Tribunal. She has experience attending mediations, settlement conferences and trials representing clients in a wide range of matters. She prides herself on her strong relationships with clients, medical and allied health professionals, insurers and other solicitors.
Earlier in her career, Mel worked as a solicitor and paralegal in a leading Injury firm based in Brisbane.
Memberships / associations
- The Law Society of South Australia
- Member of the High Court of Australia
Areas of Practice
- Personal Services
- Personal Injury
Honours & Awards
- Leading Public Liability Compensation Law Firms (Plaintiff) - South Australia - 2020 Doyles Guide
- Leading Work Injury Compensation Law Firms (Plaintiff) - South Australia - 2020 Doyles Guide
- Leading Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation Law Firms - South Australia - 2020 Doyles Guide
- Leading Public and Product Liability Law Firms - South Australia - 2019 Doyles Guide