- Telephone (08) 8235 3018
- Email Ben Allen
- Save my contact details
- Download my Profile
- View my profile on
Ben joined Wallmans Lawyers in 1995 and now leads the firm’s Hospitality, Licensing, Planning and Environment practices.
His hospitality experience is extensive, acting for various licensees, residents and Council clients. Ben appears regularly before the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner, the Licensing Court and the Supreme Court. With significant expertise in these areas, Ben has been recognised across various categories in the preeminent Best Lawyers Australia list which identifies the nation's outstanding legal talent, as well as in Doyles Guide for Planning and Environment lawyers.
Ben’s Planning and Environment practice includes representing both developers and Councils in development applications and enforcement actions, including appearing before development assessment panels and in appeals before the Environment, Resources and Development Court.
Ben’s point of difference is an industry-wide understanding of development as it impacts upon a variety of legislation, including the Development Act, the Local Government Act, the Gaming Machines Act and the Liquor Licensing Act.
Ben is regularly invited to present on relevant legal issues to industry bodies, Local Government and the legal profession, including the Law Society, Legalwise, presenting to students in the Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice and is also an active participant in the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner's Practitioners' Forum.
Memberships / associations
- National Environmental Law Association
- International Wine Law Association (Australasia)
- Planning Institute of Australia
- Wine Communicators of Australia
- The Law Society of South Australia
Areas of Practice
Honours & Awards
- Ben Allen | 2020/21 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming Law
- Ben Allen | 2020/21 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Hospitality & Tourism Law
- Ben Allen | 2020/21 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Leisure and Licensing Law
- Recommended Planning & Environment Law Firms - South Australia - 2020 Doyles Guide
- Ben Allen | 2019/20 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Hospitality & Tourism Law
- Ben Allen | 2019/20 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming Law
- Ben Allen | 2018/19 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming Law
- Ben Allen | 2018/19 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Hospitality & Tourism Law
- Ben Allen | 2017 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming
- Ben Allen | 2017 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Hospitality & Tourism
- Ben Allen | 2016 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming, Hospitality & Tourism
- Ben Allen | 2015 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming
- Ben Allen | 2014 Best Lawyers Australia Listing - Gaming
- Ben Allen | Doyle’s Guide - Leading Planning and Environment Lawyers 2016, 2014, 2012 (SA)
- Article | Liquor Licensing Changes Looming
- Insights | Citizens on patrol - Technology and the future of fighting crime
- Trade Marks | Protecting Your Business’ Brand Identity in the Food and Wine Industry
- Insights | Civil Action and Contaminated Land
- Liquor Licensing | Changes Commence ‘On the Drip’
- Insights | Cracking the Code - Planning Law SA
- Insights | Planning Law: Developers Carry the Can
- Are Airbnb Rentals Against Planning Laws?
- Insights | PDI Act 2016 - Community Engagement Charter - Second Consultation Draft
- Insights | PDI Act - Assessment Panels to Begin Operation
- Insights | Commencement of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act and Statutes Amendment
- Insights | Transitional Arrangements - New Planning System
- Insights | Hospitality, Tourism & Development Law
- Smoking Ban in Outdoor Dining Areas – regulations to commence 1 July 2016
- Entertainment on licensed premises – major changes about to commence
- LG Insights | Doors open to roadside food stalls and perhaps much more?
- Liquor Licensing and Aged Care and Retirement Villages
- Hospitality & Licensing | Licensee Alert: Don’t get caught with your signs down!
- LG Insights | To ‘permit’ development – knowledge and control
- Hospitality & Licensing | Licensing Insights
- Licensed premises – a hot topic for the media and councils alike
- LG Matters | January 2014
- LG Matters | October 2013
- LG Matters | July 2013
- Private Certification of Applications for Development Plan Consent
- LG Matters | March 2013
- The Power to Reserve Matters
- Hospitality & Licensing | Dealing with GMEs in a Liquidation
- Is Your Development Plan Healthy?