- Commercial & Property
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Planning, Environment & Licensed Premises
- Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety
The work of our Governance team embraces all matters that affect Councils' strategically, functionally and operationally.
The team provides general legal advice in all aspects of Local Government Law applicable under the Local Government Act 1999 and relevant regulations.
Our advice and expertise extends to the responsibilities and accountability of elected members, rating and valuation of land, risk management, freedom of information, conflict of interest, probity in public office, meeting procedures and the processes and substance of Councils internal decision-making functions.
In addition, we are known for tailored advice in regards to establishing governance structures and standards, the parameters of such options, and the practical effect of such models in achieving peak operational performance.
Actively involved in the sector, we regularly prepare and deliver unique and innovative workshops, briefings and seminars for Councils and industry bodies such as the Local Government Association of South Australia.
- Rating and valuation of land
- Local Government elections
- Shared services
- Liability and risk management
- Ombudsman issues
- Conflict of interest and fiduciary duties
- Meeting procedures and codes
- Probity in public office
- Statutory compliance
- Freedom of information
- Statutory interpretation
- Public and private partnership ventures