- Commercial & Property
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Planning, Environment & Licensed Premises
- Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety
Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety
The laws regulating workplace relations, employment and safety are complex and constantly changing. Councils in South Australia have the added complication of operating in a state-based system that is different to the system applying to the private sector. Within this distinct regulatory environment, councils need to be aware of their legal obligations. This is not only to ensure compliance, but also to provide a safe working environment for, and effective strategic management of, councils' most important asset – their people.
Wallmans Lawyers' Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety team has been listed in Doyle's Guide as being a recommended 'Leading Employment Law Firm' in South Australia. We have dedicated experts that advise and represent local government in regards to workplace relations, employment and safety law, acting for a significant number of metropolitan and regional councils. Our practice has both a litigious and advisory focus and has developed a reputation for practical, cost-effective and unpretentious advice that best serves councils' interests.
We provide councils with day-to-day sounding board advice in relation to all aspects of workplace relations and employment management, including the review or preparation of enterprise agreements, contracts of employment, workplace policies, codes of conduct and procedures, performance management and workplace grievances.
We also provide councils with advice and representation in relation to all issues relating to work health and safety, union disputation, apprentices and trainees, workplace surveillance, redundancies, allegations of bullying, workers compensation, equal opportunity and all claims arising in relation to the termination of employment.
Our team also provides practical training to both council staff and elected members on a wide range of topics including work health and safety, performance management and workplace bullying.
Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety Services
- Employment contracts and enterprise agreements
- Workplace policies and procedures
- Unfair dismissal and underpayment claims
- Breach of contract claims
- Industrial disputation
- Workers compensation
- Workplace training
- Workplace investigations
- Workplace health and safety advice and representation
- Workplace surveillance and privacy
- Social media
- Managing employee performance
- Managing disciplinary issues including termination
- Equal opportunity, bullying and sexual harassment
- Misconduct and other workplace grievances
- Restructures and redundancy