Cracking the Code
A comprehensive review of the law with respect to drafting, interpreting and applying planning policy in South Australia
The recent launch of the State Planning Commission's 'Blueprint for South Australia's Planning and Design Code' is the first formal step in the preparation of the Planning and Design Code. It is anticipated that by 2020, a functional (if not complete) Code will replace all 72 Development Plans that currently exist across the State.
It is therefore an opportune time for planning professionals to revisit some of the fundamental legal principles in relation to drafting, interpreting and applying planning policy in South Australia. While the legislation and process with respect to planning and development in this State is changing, many of the legal principles established through the Courts may continue to apply.
Felicity Niemann will start the session by taking a look at the relevant parts of the Planning Development Infrastructure Act 2016 with respect to the establishment and application of the Code. The remaining part of the session will be dedicated to reviewing some of the key decisions made by the Courts with respect to interpretation and application of planning policy in South Australia.
Greg Vincent of Masterplan, will then reflect back on his extensive career with stories from the trenches focusing on where planning policy has worked and where it has not worked.
- A review of the relevant parts of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 relating to the establishment and operation of the Planning and Design Code
- A in-depth discussion over past Court decisions relating to the interpretation, drafting and application of planning policy in South Australia
- On the ground experiences from a planning professional on what makes good and bad planning policy.
Felicity Niemann, Local Government, Planning and Environment, Wallmans Lawyers
Greg Vincent, Director, Masterplan
Who Should Participate
- Planning professionals
- Development Assessment and Policy Officers
- Council Assessment Panel members
- Planning Managers & directors
Wallmans are located at Level 5, 400 King William Street, Adelaide (Corner of Gilles Street). Please note that 2 hour street parking is available on Gilles, Gilbert and King William Streets (dependent on availability). Additionally there is a paid undercover car park adjacent to the building, with entry from Gilles Street (subject to availability).